Its meet extended by one week, Portland Meadows handled a record $44,655,297 over 66 full race days when the 2008-09 Oregon meet concluded March 31.
Portland Meadows established a record for all-sources handle on Jan. 28 with $1,433,207 bet on the nine-race card.
The owner of Ellis Park said he is willing to work with horsemen on revenue-sharing plans for wagering signals, but hasn't ruled out eventually closing the Kentucky track if an equitable long-term agreement isn't reached.
After the start of Calder Race Course's opening-day card of nine races April 21, the Florida Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association agreed to permit the racetrack to send its signal to New York's off-track betting companies. Six OTB outlets in that state received the signal for the last three races.
Portland Meadows, which concluded its 2007-08 live meet on March 11, reported a 22.3% increase in gross handle from all sources compared to a year ago.
- By Ryan Conley
A contentious standoff over Gulfstream Park's racing signal has brought a chilling end to any warm fuzzies felt from the recent broad distribution deals emerging out of California, New Jersey, and New York.
Youbet reported a loss of $357,000, or one cent a share, in its second quarter, down from income of $2.2 million, or six cents per share, in the year-ago period, the company reported Tuesday.
Saying it was responding to the pleas of horsemen, TrackNet Media Group will offer Aug. 4 Claiming Crown racing at Ellis Park to arch-rivals TVG and Youbet.com, though a company executive said the move doesn't indicate a softening of the hard lines drawn by the parties.
- By Ryan Conley
TVG has filed a lawsuit against Magna Entertainment Corp., HRTV, and XpressBet for alleged patent infringement, the company announced May 18.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double