Delores Wagner's Caffe D'Oro set a new course record of :54.57 for five furlongs on turf at Monmouth Park on July 15.
The most money ever was wagered June 30 on a single race, $379,220, and on a single race card, $2,140,490.
Shaggy Mane is one of 39 fillies and mares nominated to the Sept. 15 Presque Isle Downs Masters Stakes, a $400,000, six-furlong test designed to serve as a prep for the new $1-million Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint.
The first day of July brought two new track records to Colonial Downs near New Kent, Va. After a sprinkler malfunctioned, all nine of the Tuesday's scheduled races were run on the main track.
Buckram Oak Farm's Najran shattered the one-mile track record at Belmont Park on the opening day card with an impressive victory in the Westchester Handicap (gr. III). His time for the one-turn mile was a blistering 1:32.24.
Michael Gill's Boston Brat, who set a track record for five furlongs in his last start, equaled Gulfstream Park's record for 5 1/2 furlongs Monday as he raced the distance in 1:02 2/5.
Mayakovsky made a spectacular racing debut when he sped 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:03 1-5 in Wednesday's third race at Saratoga, breaking a 55-year-old track record.
Most Popular Stories
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- NJ-Bred Chublicious Captures Mr. Prospector
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup
- Marialite Upsets Favorites at Hanshin
- Sheer Drama On Fence for 'Summit of Speed'
- Minding Coasts Clear in Pretty Polly
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another