Track announcer Tom Durkin, who has been calling races for the New York Racing Association circuit since 1990, announced he will bring a 43-year career to a close Aug. 31.
Monmouth Park is accepting applications for a track announcer after the recent news that Larry Collmus has accepted the same position at Churchill Downs.
Larry Collmus will become the seventh track announcer at Churchill Downs when the spring meet opens this year at the Louisville track, replacing Mark Johnson.
Tom Durkin April 26 announced his decision not to renew his contract to call the Triple Crown races this year for NBC Sports.
John Lies will be the track announcer for the upcoming Quarter Horse racing season at Hialeah Park in Florida.
Matt Hook has joined Pinnacle Race Course as track announcer, with additional roles as assistant racing secretary and track handicapper. The announcement was made July 16 by Pinnacle Race Course general manager Allan Plever.
Officials at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino announced that Sean Beirne, director of simulcasting/public relations and track announcer, has resigned from his position effective Aug. 1.
Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie has hired John Lies as its track announcer for the 2005 spring Thoroughbred season that runs April 14 through July 17.
Kevin Goemmer, a longtime track announcer and most recently director of sales and marketing for Charlson Broadcast Technologies, suffered an apparent heart attack and died Jan. 27 in a motor vehicle accident. Goemmer, 48, continued to call races on a fill-in basis, most recently at Turfway Park, and was regarded as one of the best in the business.
Most Popular Stories
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Micromanage Set for Another Distance Test
- Ben's Cat Seeks Third Turf Monster Victory
- Texas Racing Commission OKs Instant Racing
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Saratoga Racing Secretary Gabriel Leaving
- Santa Anita Hosts Handicapping Event Oct. 4-5
- Gelfenstein Farm Blossoms in Ocala