Racing's tote system is hampering growth read blog
Churchill Downs the company hopes to reap the rewards of what president Tom Meeker calls a "culture change," and it also plans to utilize its resources to deal with three lingering industry problems: the tote system, offshore wagering, and short fields.
Churchill Downs Inc. officials discussed the company's financial picture, alternative gaming initiatives, and the industry's tote system during a March 17 teleconference but shed little light on their intentions for Hollywood Park, the Southern California racetrack that is the subject of sale rumors.
The hot-button issue of changing odds after a race begins was addressed by Woodbine Entertainment's vice president of wagering operations Stephen Mitchell during a panel discussion on 'Integrity of Technology' during the 29th Symposium on Racing in Tucson Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Longform: Long Live the Queen
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Sire Tapit Closing in on Record Season
- Aktabantay Out of BC Juvenile Turf
- Northern Cal Trainers On Cup's Center Stage
- Frat Brothers Team Up on Lawn Ranger
- Santa Anita Confident in New Dirt Surface
- Baffert Hopes Luck Turns with One Lucky Dane
- Breeders' Cup News Update for Oct 30, 2014
- Breeders' Cup to Honor Top Jockey