Bucking the national trend, Louisiana Downs posted gains at the close of the 2008 meet. According to a release from the track, the race meet posted increases in handle of 6% on-track, 2% off-track and 2.5% overall.
Odds-on choice Jonesboro edged away from Smokeyjonessutton through the homestretch to post a 1 3/4-length win in the $151,500 Tiznow Handicap at Louisiana Downs Sept. 20, earning a berth in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile in the process. The Tiznow was one of five six-figure stakes on the Super Derby undercard.
The Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders' Association named Leestown its 2005 stallion of the year with progeny earnings of $2,108,869, while Foxwood Plantation received its fourth straight title as breeder of the year with earnings of $350,179.
Tortuga Flats and Nob Hill Deelite were favored to repeat their Louisiana Champions Day wins in their respective divisions of the Louisiana Futurity, and both prevailed Saturday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Records were matched, streaks continued, and favorites ruled the 15th annual Louisiana Champions Day Saturday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs. Badtotheboneandrew, at odds of 4-1, posted the day's biggest payoff in the $150,000 Classic.
Witt Ante, winner of the 2004 Louisiana Champions Day Classic, looks for a repeat in the $150,000 centerpiece of the first major event of the Fair Ground meet Saturday at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Illinois Gaming Plans Would Slice Racing Aid
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Midnight Hawk Brings Illinois Derby Intrigue
- Stronach Takes Stand on Integrity Reforms
- And They're Off: The End of the Trail Edition
- Regulators Begin Asmussen Investigations
- Dude Back On Game for Charles Town Classic
- Street Boss Colt Among Top OBS Day 2 Workers
- Eight Rivals Try Kid Cruz in Federico Tesio