Cudney Stables homebred Lafontaine, the longest shot in a six-horse field at 18-1, charged late to overtake pacesetter Heart to Heart en route to a half-length win in the $119,710 Toronto Cup over the Woodbine turf July 20.
Late-running Patrioticandproud took the overland route to his first stakes victory in the $148,833 Toronto Cup at Woodbine July 14.
Grand Adventure and Spice Route, impressive recent stakes winners on the Woodbine turf, take on defending winner Rahy's Attorney in the $300,000 Nijinsky Stakes (Can-IIT) July 24 at the Toronto track.
Jockey Todd Kabel, the four-time reigning jockey of the year in Canada, won his fifth consecutive edition of Woodbine's CAN$151,600 Toronto Cup for 3-year-olds on the turf with Windward Islands on Saturday.
Well-traveled Noble Stella made her second start in Canada a winning one when the Gary Tanaka-owned 4-year-old captured Saturday's $340,800 Dance Smartly Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine.
Jockey Todd Kabel recorded his Woodbine-leading twelfth stakes score of the season, guiding Sam-Son Farm's Silver Ticket to victory in the $168,600 Toronto Cup (Can-III).
Bachelor Blues, who has developed an affinity for Woodbine's turf, hopes his edge can carry the day in Saturday's $168,600 Toronto Cup Stakes (Can-III) for 3-year-olds.
Queen's Plate runner-up Mobil pulled away in late stretch to win the featured CAN$164,100 Toronto Cup Handicap by one length, getting the 1 1/8-mile distance on a turf course listed as 'good', in 1:49.15.
For trainer Malcolm Pierce, the burning question heading into Saturday's Toronto Cup Stakes (Can-IIIT) for 3-year-olds at Woodbine is, 'Will the real Strizzi show up?'
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile