Enrique Cantarell Diaz's Amanecer Serrano was a convincing 2 1/4-length victor March 21 at Hipodromo de las Americas in Mexico while becoming the first winner for California-based freshman sire Sierra Sunset.
California-bred Sierra Sunset threw his name smack into the middle of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) mix March 15 at Oaklawn Park, dominating eight rivals to win by three lengths in the $300,000 Rebel Stakes (gr. II).
The Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) can be a big temptation for the owner of a promising colt that has not yet proven himself to rank with the best. Some yield; others, usually proving wiser, aim for lesser targets, allowing their youngsters to continue their development under less pressure. The latter strategy paid off nicely when Sierra Sunset picked up his third victory and second straight stakes score in the California Cup Juvenile Nov. 3.
Most Popular Stories
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- BH 100: Summer Saturdays
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- China Group to Build Caribbean Resort, Track
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Ruling Favors Historical Racing Graphics
- Borell Arraignment Set for Aug. 1
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby