Square Eddie, a top 2-year-old last year who has been playing catch up for most of his early sophomore campaign, worked a half-mile April 26 at Churchill Downs in :50 1/5. Third last time out in the Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II), Square Eddie got in his final workout prior to the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
If California-based runner Informed finds his way home first in the $1 million Godolphin Mile (UAE-II) March 28, it could very well mark one of the most distinctive training feats in Nad al Sheba racing history.
Lava Man, one of the all-time great California breds who was retired in July with earnings of $5,268,706, will lead the parade to the post for the $250,000 California Cup Classic at Oak Tree on Oct. 5.
Two key men in Doug O'Neill's Del Mar barn were saddened by the announcement that seven-time grade I winner Lava Man won't be coming to the barn anymore.
Defending Pacific Classic (gr. I) champion Lava Man had his final major prep for the $1 million test on Aug. 19 when he breezed six furlongs before the first race Saturday in 1:14 4/5 over Del Mar's Polytrack surface.
There's a palpable feeling of optimism around the connections of Lava Man who have observed his initial gallops and overall demeanor since he arrived in Dubai last week for the US$5 million Dubai Duty Free on March 31.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Back to Training After Injury
- Horseplayers Support USADA Oversight
- Royal Posse Aces Evan Shipman Stakes Debut
- NYTHA Executive Director Gallagher Retires
- Pedigree Analysis: Caro
- Handle Flat, Race Days Down in August
- Ironicus Has New Challenge in Bernard Baruch
- Fasig-Tipton to Sponsor Two KY Downs Stakes
- Renamed First Winner for Everyday Heroes
- Five Sires Have Two Challenge Race Winners