Jockey Richard Eramia, leading the rider standings at Harrah's Louisiana Downs, earned his 1,000th North American victory when he guided 3-5 favorite Shave and Pave to victory in the fourth race Aug. 31,
Snug, ridden by Gerard Melancon, outfought favored Snakebite Kit in the $100,000 Louisiana Cup Turf Classic to produce a 1 1/2-length victory at Louisiana Downs May 22.
The annual yearling sale conducted by the Breeders Sales Company of Louisiana at the Hamilton Expo Center in West Monroe saw major across-the-board increases in all key statistical categories.
David Beard's Zydeco Affair battled back along the rail to overtake Larry B in deep stretch to win the $75,000 Manila Stakes by a neck Saturday at Arlington Park.
Two 3-year-olds being shipped to Churchill Downs for other races on Kentucky Derby (gr. I) week could join the field for the season's first classic. Trainer Tony Richey said Boyce Roberts' Arctic Boy may run in the Derby rather than a conditioned allowance race on Derby Day he is being pointed toward. Richey said a final decision on Derby plans for the son of Maria's Mon will be made following a Monday workout under jockey Calvin Borel. Meanwhile, Churchill officials said trainer Simon Bray could also decide to run Turf Paradise Derby winner Startac in the Derby rather than the Crown Royal American Turf (gr. III), a 1 1/16-mile grass test on Friday's Kentucky Oaks card.
Most Popular Stories
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- Trainer A. C. Avila Suspended, Fined by CHRB
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Caesars' Moves Impact Turfway, ThistleDown
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A
- Ben's Cat Maryland-Bred HOY for Fourth Year
- NJ Track Calls for End to Simulcast Impasse
- Baffert: Dortmund is 'Figuring it Out'