Representatives of a local riders' group and the Jockeys' Guild plan to meet with officials from Parx Racing the morning of Friday, Nov. 7, to discuss a waiver riders say the track has asked jockeys to sign.
In a little over two year's time, Philadelphia Park Jockeys has helped accomplish some pretty remarkable things at the Bensalem racetrack. On June 11 the group's president, Anthony Black, announced yet another approved measure that will benefit riders: A $100 mount fee for jockeys who do not finish in the top three positions.
Philadelphia Park Casino & Racetrack stewards handed jockey Victor Molina a $1,000 fine and 30-day suspension June 25 for his actions prior to the third race at the Bensalem, Pa., facility June 18.
Philadelphia Park Jockeys and a labor union are exploring other options after a state entity rejected the group's petition to have union representation.
Negotiations are currently underway between jockeys, management and horsemen at Philadelphia Park to have the amount of on-track accident insurance for riders increased from its current $100,000 to $1 million, but so far little progress has been made, according to Tony Black, who is helping spearhead the effort.
Jockeys at Philadelphia Park voted not to ride the 10-race card Dec. 29 after they were unable to resolve payroll issues with management.
Just two days after Philadelphia Park presented the $50,000 Devil's Honor Stakes, 9-year-old Devil's Honor made an appearance in the paddock at the Pennsylvania track. He was there to race.
With his stepson being held on $1.8-million bail, deceased trainer Robert Camac was remembered by his colleagues at Philadelphia Park over the weekend.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Continues Churchill Training
- Main Sequence to Defend United Nations Title
- Pleascach Wins Irish One Thousand Guineas
- Mikki Queen Rules in Japanese Oaks
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt Leads MM Weanling Session
- Looking for a Longshot in the Gamely Stakes
- American Pharoah Gallops Again at Churchill
- Frammento 'Developing Nicely' for Belmont
- Milestone 5,000th Win for Jockey Bravo
- Texas Air Seeks Upset in Lone Star 'Cap