Amazombie has a foothold in two states -- California and Kentucky. He was bred in California and did most of his racing there. But his biggest victory came in Kentucky, when he won the 2011 Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Sprint.
Throw out his last race, said trainer Bill Spawr of Amazombie. The Xpressbet Breeders' Cup Sprint favorite is ready to repeat.
With odds-on favorite The Factor cashing it in early, Amazombie closed from last on the far outside to take over past mid-stretch, winning the $250,000 Ancient Title Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita Oct. 8.
Amazombie, closing with abandon on the far outside for jockey Mike Smith, nipped Captain Cherokee by a head in a terrific finish to the $150,000 Potrero Grande Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park April 3.
Amazombie, making his stakes debut for trainer Bill Spawr at odds of 11-1, outfought odds-on choice Cost of Freedom in a terrific finish to snatch the $200,000 Sunshine Millions Sprint by a head at Santa Anita Jan. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull Stakes
- Alert Bay Victorious in Cal Cup Turf Classic
- Mischief Clem, 'Kitty Post Upsets in Cal Cup
- Eblouissante Retired, to be Bred in Europe
- Birdatthewire Soars to Easy Forward Gal Win
- First Reported Foal by Justin Phillip a Colt
- Lochte Triumphs in Tampa Bay Thriller
- Sugar Shock Takes American Beauty in Comeback
- Barbados Makes the Grade in Hutcheson
- Consumer Credit Captures Sweetest Chant