Dave's Friend was one of the best sprinters in the nation and Kauai King developed into a two-time classic winner, still holding the distinction of being the only Maryland-bred to win the Kentucky Derby.
Coolmore Stud's world-class stallion Royal Academy, who has been represented by more than 160 stakes winners, died Feb. 22 at Coolmore Australia due to the infirmities of old age. He was 25.
Market conditions remained the same at the Keeneland September yearling sale Thursday, Sept. 24 as major indices continued their decline over a last year's figures. Four horses, however, broke through the six-figure barrier on the day, with the top three prices coming for fillies.
With four horses bringing more than $500,000 apiece, the Ocala Breeders Sales Co. (OBS) March select sale of 2-year-olds in training blasted out of the starting gate Tuesday in Central Florida.
Pancho Villa, a speedy son of Secretariat, suffered a heart attack and died right before he was getting ready to cover his first mare this breeding season at Dr. Steve Hicks' Cedarcrest Farm near Palestine, Texas.
Crimson Saint, who developed into a treasure trove for Central Kentucky horseman Tom Gentry, died May 12 at John Willard's Offutt-Cole Farm near Midway, Ky., where she had spent the last six years of her retirement. Crimson Saint was owned by Gentry's son, Olin. Crimson Saint produced Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner and successful stallion Royal Academy, plus grade II winners Terlingua and Pancho Villa and restricted stakes winner Alydariel. Crimson Saint's descendants also include leading sire Storm Cat. Overall, Gentry sold 10 of Crimson Saint's offspring as yearlings for a total of $17,775,000.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby