Veterinarian Tom Bowman has joined his son, Brooke Bowman, D.V.M., and veteran Maryland horseman Louis Merryman as a partner in the newly formed Heritage Stallions.
After about a year of study and negotiating, Maryland will have a revised Thoroughbred breeding program beginning with the Laurel Park meet that kicks off Sept. 19.
A task force recently formed to address the struggling Maryland Thoroughbred breeding industry suggested several measures Tuesday to reverse steep declines.
The Maryland Horse Breeders Association Dec. 20 noted increased financial opportunities for state-bred winners because of a new racing agreement and projected increases in revenue from video lottery terminals.
Grade I winner Bullsbay has been retired from racing to stand at Richard Golden and Dr. Tom Bowman's Northview Stallion Station near Chesapeake City, Md., in 2011. A fee will be annouced later.
Reigning steeplechase champion Good Night Shirt won his fifth consecutive grade I stakes with a powerful tally in the $250,000 Grand National Steeplechase Oct. 18 at the Far Hills Races.
Rosecroft Raceway will not be permitted to offer simulcast wagering of Thoroughbred races effective April 19, according to a statement released Friday evening jointly by the Maryland Jockey Club, the Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Assoc. and the Maryland Horse Breeders' Assoc.
A trio of Marylanders has joined with one of Kentucky's -- and the world's -- premier horse farms to build a thoroughbred breeding center in Maryland that they fervently believe can become the region's leading breeding operation.
Polish Miner, a graded stakes-placed son of Danzig, will enter stud in 2003 at Richard Golden, Dr. Tom Bowman, and Allaire du Pont's Northview Stallion Station near Chesapeake City, Md. His fee will be $3,500.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 2 Winner Iliad Retired
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Practical Joke Rewards Breeders' Faith in His Dam
- Thunder Snow Enters Quarantine at Churchill Downs
- Horseman Mike Johnson Knows a Good One in McCraken
- Wilkes Continues to Do Nafzger Proud
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Derby Museum to Become Home for Lukas Collection