Kelly was recognized as one of the great trainers of his era. He was cherished as a friend and worshiped as a father and husband, but to everyone fortunate to have known him, he was one of the good guys.
Francis "Butch" Martel, a hot walker, died Jan 30 of kidney failure in Hobe Sound, Fla.
Funeral arrangements have been made for the late Bill Hartack, whose remains will be buried Dec. 6 in Iberia, Mo., with a memorial service to follow Dec. 10 in Miami Springs, Fla.
Edward Ignatius "E.I." Kelly, one of the more popular trainers ever on the New York circuit, died Sept. 2 at his home in Brooksville, Fla. Mr. Kelly had turned 83 on July 30.
Thomas Kelly and Joseph Grant's Evening Attire, the upset winner of Saturday's $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), was being buried with carrots, peppermints and Jolly Ranchers while walking trainer Pat Kelly's shedrow this morning.
A state fire investigator said an Ocala Stud training barn was so severely damaged in a blaze, which killed 22 horses, that the cause may never be known. Still, the fire is not considered suspicious in any way.
Most Popular Stories
- Hollywood Derby Likely After Chrome's Workout
- Danon Shark Wins Mile Championship Thriller
- Hushion Seeks 'Wand for Princess Violet
- Shipper Holiday Star Faces 10 in Turf Cup
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess
- Honor Code Inhales Allowance Foes in Return
- Three Hearts Breaks Through in Red Carpet
- Sinatra Leaving Parx to Take MJC Position
- Sunbean in Hand for Easy Delta Mile Victory