Mandy Pope prevailed in a protracted bidding battle that ended with a final price of $1.05 million for a daughter of Street Cry out of Tizso.
Returning from a near-death experience last year, Paynter demolished an allowance field June 14 at Betfair Hollywood Park in his first start since winning last July's Haskell Invitational (gr. I).
Bouncing back from a heart-breaking loss in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) last month, Paynter romped to victory in the $1 million Haskell Invitational (gr. I) July 29 at Monmouth Park for trainer Bob Baffert.
Zayat Stables colt will make his second career start in grade II race at Hawthorne.
Bluegrass Hall Farm purchased an Awesome Again-Tizso, by Cee's Tizzy, colt (Hip No. 426) for $510,000 from the Taylor Made Sales Agency consignment during the third session of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 13.
The simple addition of a shadow roll by trainer Richard Mandella may have spelled the difference for Tiz West, who nosed Ez Dreamer at the wire in the $147,200 Cinema Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Hollywood Park turf course June 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture