Favored Sidney's Candy got a quick jump out of the gate and never looked back en route to a decisive 4 1/4-length victory in the San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) on the Presidents' Day card at Santa Anita Feb. 15.
Trainers Bob Baffert and Todd Pletcher hold the most firepower as Steve Haskin takes his first look at the trail to the 2010 Triple Crown.
The much anticipated return of Sidney's Candy became a bit of a disappointment when the 2-year-old was beaten by Tiny Woods, finishing fourth in an allowance race at Santa Anita.
D' Funnybone, purchased privately one month ago by Paul Pompa Jr., provided an immediate return on the investment when he crushed his rivals in the $150,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II) at the Spa Aug. 20.
Of the three major races for juvenile males at the Saratoga, D. Wayne Lukas has won the Sanford (gr. II) and Hopeful (gr. I) five times apiece, and the Saratoga Special (gr. II) three more times. On Aug. 20, Lukas will go for Special No. 4 when he sends out longshot Activity Report in the $150,000 event.
Indian Blessing, the champion female sprinter of 2008, is set to breeze Aug. 8 as she points towards a return to the races in the $300,000 Ballerina (gr. I) on Aug. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Owner/Breeder Aaron Jones Dies
- McEvoy Steps Down as Godolphin Jockey
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Consignors Busy Ahead of Louisiana Sale
- Shared Belief Needs to be Awesome...Again
- Goldencents to Remain in California
- Juddmonte's Elite Miler Kingman Retired
- Al Shaqab's Toronado to National Stud in 2015
- Heart to Heart Among Eight for Jefferson Cup
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win