Favored Sidney's Candy got a quick jump out of the gate and never looked back en route to a decisive 4 1/4-length victory in the San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) on the Presidents' Day card at Santa Anita Feb. 15.
Trainers Bob Baffert and Todd Pletcher hold the most firepower as Steve Haskin takes his first look at the trail to the 2010 Triple Crown.
The much anticipated return of Sidney's Candy became a bit of a disappointment when the 2-year-old was beaten by Tiny Woods, finishing fourth in an allowance race at Santa Anita.
D' Funnybone, purchased privately one month ago by Paul Pompa Jr., provided an immediate return on the investment when he crushed his rivals in the $150,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II) at the Spa Aug. 20.
Of the three major races for juvenile males at the Saratoga, D. Wayne Lukas has won the Sanford (gr. II) and Hopeful (gr. I) five times apiece, and the Saratoga Special (gr. II) three more times. On Aug. 20, Lukas will go for Special No. 4 when he sends out longshot Activity Report in the $150,000 event.
Indian Blessing, the champion female sprinter of 2008, is set to breeze Aug. 8 as she points towards a return to the races in the $300,000 Ballerina (gr. I) on Aug. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive
- Alto Aims High With Materiality
- NY Approves Rule on Decoupled Entries
- Bold Conquest Not Likely for Derby AE List
- Kentucky Derby: Dortmund Gets a Bath
- Clabes Appointed Executive Director of KEEP
- Case Against Pena Results in Three-Year Ban
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Dortmund, Other CA Shippers Arrive at CD