Clover Towne Farm homebred Taptowne was scratched out of the Nov. 1 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park due to a bruised foot.
The well-traveled Taptowne made a stop in West Virginia Aug. 3 and made off with the cash with a victory in the $200,000 West Virginia Governor's Stakes at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort.
Two weeks before the 29-day Ellis Park meet begins July 4, horsemen are expressing concerns about the condition of the main track and some, including prominent conditioner Larry Jones, have decided not to race at the track.
Nine-year-old gelding Unreachable Star kept his streak going June 5 when he won an Indiana-bred stakes for the sixth consecutive year.
Tim Glyshaw and Dean Baer's Ready's Rocket set the modern record for most wins by a horse at Churchill Downs May 21 when he won his ninth race at the Kentucky track.
Most Popular Stories
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Exit Stage Left Stays Unbeaten in Gold Rush
- Hong Kong Runners May Have Trouble This Year
- Nevada Kid Rolls in Claiming Crown Jewel
- Hedge Skimmer Valiant Girl Shocks My Charmer
- Mucho Macho Man Returns to Gulfstream Tab