Graded stakes-placed four times in the past year, Taptowne is eyeing a breakthrough win for trainer Tim Glyshaw in the $200,000 Texas Mile (gr. III) on the night of April 26 at Lone Star Park.
Multiple stakes winner Taptowne, preparing for a likely start in the Oaklawn Handicap (gr. II) in a month's time, was assigned top weight of 117 pounds for the $200,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III) March 15 at Oaklawn Park.
Clover Towne Farm homebred Taptowne was scratched out of the Nov. 1 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park due to a bruised foot.
The well-traveled Taptowne made a stop in West Virginia Aug. 3 and made off with the cash with a victory in the $200,000 West Virginia Governor's Stakes at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort.
Two weeks before the 29-day Ellis Park meet begins July 4, horsemen are expressing concerns about the condition of the main track and some, including prominent conditioner Larry Jones, have decided not to race at the track.
Nine-year-old gelding Unreachable Star kept his streak going June 5 when he won an Indiana-bred stakes for the sixth consecutive year.
Tim Glyshaw and Dean Baer's Ready's Rocket set the modern record for most wins by a horse at Churchill Downs May 21 when he won his ninth race at the Kentucky track.
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland's New Dirt Track
- Back on Dirt at Keeneland; New Track Opens
- Ohio Moves to Increase Losing Mount Fees
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Stephanie's Kitten to be Offered at F-T Sale
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races