Sportswriter will try to win his first NYSS on the dirt when he competes in the $100,000 Thunder Rumble at Aqueduct Racetrack, while Sunny Desert heads the $100,000 Staten Island for females Nov. 14.
New York champion Thunder Puddles, the only New York-bred to sire a New York-bred millionaire, died June 29 at Carl Lizza Jr. and Joseph Bartone's Highcliff Farm near Delanson, N.Y.
Thunder Rumble, the 1992 Travers (gr. I) and Jim Dandy (gr. II) winner is the 4th horse to make his home at Cabin Creek, a newly opened satellite farm operated by Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Farm.
Gigli, trained by the late Bobby Frankel, has a new home in the New York division of the Old Friends retirement facility named after the Hall of Fame trainer.
Retired New York trainer Richard O'Connell, who conditioned millionaires Capades and Thunder Rumble, died Feb. 29 from complications of pneumonia.
Millionaire Thunder Rumble, whose big wins came at Saratoga in the Travers Stakes (gr. I), Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II), and Saratoga Cup Handicap, has returned to James F. Edwards' The Stallion Park in Millbrook, N.Y., where he stood his first four seasons at stud.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Gun Runner Posts Bullet in Breeze for Whitney
- Madam Dancealot Closes From Last to Win San Clemente
- Girvin Has Final Work Ahead of Haskell
- Glamanation First Stakes Winner for Point of Entry
- Brown in High Spirits After Three Saratoga Wins
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies