Sportswriter will try to win his first NYSS on the dirt when he competes in the $100,000 Thunder Rumble at Aqueduct Racetrack, while Sunny Desert heads the $100,000 Staten Island for females Nov. 14.
New York champion Thunder Puddles, the only New York-bred to sire a New York-bred millionaire, died June 29 at Carl Lizza Jr. and Joseph Bartone's Highcliff Farm near Delanson, N.Y.
Thunder Rumble, the 1992 Travers (gr. I) and Jim Dandy (gr. II) winner is the 4th horse to make his home at Cabin Creek, a newly opened satellite farm operated by Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Farm.
Gigli, trained by the late Bobby Frankel, has a new home in the New York division of the Old Friends retirement facility named after the Hall of Fame trainer.
Retired New York trainer Richard O'Connell, who conditioned millionaires Capades and Thunder Rumble, died Feb. 29 from complications of pneumonia.
Millionaire Thunder Rumble, whose big wins came at Saratoga in the Travers Stakes (gr. I), Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II), and Saratoga Cup Handicap, has returned to James F. Edwards' The Stallion Park in Millbrook, N.Y., where he stood his first four seasons at stud.
Most Popular Stories
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos