The barn area at Will Rogers Downs in Claremore, Okla., sustained extensive damage and two horses were injured when a tornado hit the area March 30.
Robert Zoellner of Rockin Z Ranch was honored with The Blood-Horse Julep Cup as Oklahoma breeder of the year when the Thoroughbred Racing Association of Oklahoma held its awards banquet.
Joe Lucas, executive vice president for the Thoroughbred Racing Association of Oklahoma, said that more than 150 horses perished in the tornados that hit Moore and the Oklahoma City area. That count includes all breeds.
The Thoroughbred Racing Association of Oklahoma and Oklahoma Quarter Horse Racing Association have jointly announced the creation of a benevolence account for horsemen impacted by the storms.
Heritage Place will conduct its inaugural Thoroughbreds-only mixed sale Dec. 8 in Oklahoma City, Okla. The auction will include a paddock-type offering of horses in training.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment