Mucho Macho Man's nose victory in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) was voted by fans as the 2013 National Thoroughbred Racing Association's "Moment of the Year."
Dr. Kendall Hansen has pledged 1% of his namesakes earnings from the May 5 Kentucky Derby to help ThoroFan, a fan organization.
On Jan. 31, ThoroFan is partnering with the Union Grille at the Saratoga Hilton to conduct a fundraiser for the retired racehorses at Saratoga County's Bobby Frankel division of Old Friends.
- By Tom LaMarra
Positive trends in the public perception of horse racing reinforce the need for the industry to work even harder, horsemen were told Dec. 5.
New York Thoroughbred Breeders, Inc. has donated a ceramic lawn jockey, painted with the silks of owner Jess Jackson's colors, to the fan-based organization ThoroFan, which will use the iconic image of racing to help raise money for the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation.
Texas horseman Keith Asmussen has been named to the advisory board of ThoroFan, an independent not-for-profit organization that aims "to provide Thoroughbred racing fans with a voice and an organization that will actively support their interests."
Michael Amo's innovative idea for Thoroughbred racing's first organization dedicated solely to fans started innocently enough.
Most Popular Stories
- Leagues Seek to Halt New Jersey Sports Bets
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Researchers Examine Fatal Lumbar Vertebral Fractures
- F-T October Sale Gains Across Board at Opener
- Sweet Reason Set for BC Filly and Mare Sprint
- Rockingham Park Selling Most of Stable Area
- Claimer Seeking the Sherif Reaches BC Sprint
- Two-Time Champion Beholder Out of BC Distaff
- Jockeys' Guild, RTCA Set Up Saez Family Fund
- Bullet Move for Likely BC Juvenile Favorite