Mucho Macho Man's nose victory in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) was voted by fans as the 2013 National Thoroughbred Racing Association's "Moment of the Year."
Dr. Kendall Hansen has pledged 1% of his namesakes earnings from the May 5 Kentucky Derby to help ThoroFan, a fan organization.
On Jan. 31, ThoroFan is partnering with the Union Grille at the Saratoga Hilton to conduct a fundraiser for the retired racehorses at Saratoga County's Bobby Frankel division of Old Friends.
- By Tom LaMarra
Positive trends in the public perception of horse racing reinforce the need for the industry to work even harder, horsemen were told Dec. 5.
New York Thoroughbred Breeders, Inc. has donated a ceramic lawn jockey, painted with the silks of owner Jess Jackson's colors, to the fan-based organization ThoroFan, which will use the iconic image of racing to help raise money for the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation.
Texas horseman Keith Asmussen has been named to the advisory board of ThoroFan, an independent not-for-profit organization that aims "to provide Thoroughbred racing fans with a voice and an organization that will actively support their interests."
Michael Amo's innovative idea for Thoroughbred racing's first organization dedicated solely to fans started innocently enough.
Most Popular Stories
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Curlin Colt Tops Strong Keeneland Session
- Flashback Retired to Stand at Hill 'n' Dale
- Fast Anna Gets Class Relief in Gallant Bob
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Three-Time Grade I Winner Behrens Dies
- Equine Encephalitis Reported in New York
- Oversight Board Reviews NYRA Finances