Sprint champion Amazombie returned to his best form in the $300,000 Bing Crosby Stakes (gr. I), sitting just off a hot pace and coming to get the leaders in deep stretch to win going away on the Polytrack at Del Mar July 29.
Jockey Mike Smith earned the 5,000th victory of his Hall of Fame career when he teamed with 2011 sprint champion Amazombie to capture the $150,000 Potrero Grande Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park April 7.
Winning the Breeders' Cup Sprint had been the flourishing finish to a splendid nine-race championship season for Amazombie that ran from late January to Nov. 5. Now he has been voted male sprint champion.
Amazombie, a 5-year-old Cal-bred gelding by Northern Afleet, wears down Force Freeze in the final 100 yards to win the Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) by a neck. He covers the six furlongs in 1:09.17.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Arqana Sale Closes With Records
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds