Entries for Hawthorne's "Big Stakes" Saturday card were drawn April 18 and a pair of grade III events for handicap horses, the National Jockey Club for the boys and the Sixty Sails for the girls, are spotlighted. Both races will be run over nine furlongs.
Evening Attire returned to his favorite strip at Aqueduct to put an end to his nine race losing streak, grinding out a neck victory over West Virginia in the $108,600 Stuyvesant Handicap (gr. III) Saturday.
Evening Attire showed once again that he likes Saratoga. The 6-year-old gelded son of Black Tie Affair squared off with last year's champion Funny Cide and Bowman's Band in the stretch and came home a five-length winner in the good time of 2:00.83 in the 1 1/4-mile Saratoga Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II).
Homebred Evening Attire wins the Jockey Club Gold Cup for T.J. Kelly and Joe and Mary Grant.
Thomas Kelly and Joseph Grant's Evening Attire, the upset winner of Saturday's $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), was being buried with carrots, peppermints and Jolly Ranchers while walking trainer Pat Kelly's shedrow this morning.
Thomas Kelly's Evening Attire, a longshot in Saturday's $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), galloped over the Belmont Park training track Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Researchers Developing Equine Sweet Itch Test
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North