Entries for Hawthorne's "Big Stakes" Saturday card were drawn April 18 and a pair of grade III events for handicap horses, the National Jockey Club for the boys and the Sixty Sails for the girls, are spotlighted. Both races will be run over nine furlongs.
Evening Attire returned to his favorite strip at Aqueduct to put an end to his nine race losing streak, grinding out a neck victory over West Virginia in the $108,600 Stuyvesant Handicap (gr. III) Saturday.
Evening Attire showed once again that he likes Saratoga. The 6-year-old gelded son of Black Tie Affair squared off with last year's champion Funny Cide and Bowman's Band in the stretch and came home a five-length winner in the good time of 2:00.83 in the 1 1/4-mile Saratoga Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II).
Homebred Evening Attire wins the Jockey Club Gold Cup for T.J. Kelly and Joe and Mary Grant.
Thomas Kelly and Joseph Grant's Evening Attire, the upset winner of Saturday's $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), was being buried with carrots, peppermints and Jolly Ranchers while walking trainer Pat Kelly's shedrow this morning.
Thomas Kelly's Evening Attire, a longshot in Saturday's $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), galloped over the Belmont Park training track Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- CHRB Discusses Cutting Back Racing Dates
- Sanford Adds Another Chapter to Rich History Saturday
- Proctor's Ledge Makes Splash in Lake George
- Saratoga Opening Day Sees Handle Increase
- Litfin: No Going Against Arrogate in San Diego
- Tiz a Slam Heads Prince of Wales Stakes
- Sircat Sally Faces Stiff Test in San Clemente