Entries for Hawthorne's "Big Stakes" Saturday card were drawn April 18 and a pair of grade III events for handicap horses, the National Jockey Club for the boys and the Sixty Sails for the girls, are spotlighted. Both races will be run over nine furlongs.
Evening Attire returned to his favorite strip at Aqueduct to put an end to his nine race losing streak, grinding out a neck victory over West Virginia in the $108,600 Stuyvesant Handicap (gr. III) Saturday.
Evening Attire showed once again that he likes Saratoga. The 6-year-old gelded son of Black Tie Affair squared off with last year's champion Funny Cide and Bowman's Band in the stretch and came home a five-length winner in the good time of 2:00.83 in the 1 1/4-mile Saratoga Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II).
Homebred Evening Attire wins the Jockey Club Gold Cup for T.J. Kelly and Joe and Mary Grant.
Thomas Kelly and Joseph Grant's Evening Attire, the upset winner of Saturday's $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), was being buried with carrots, peppermints and Jolly Ranchers while walking trainer Pat Kelly's shedrow this morning.
Thomas Kelly's Evening Attire, a longshot in Saturday's $1 million Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), galloped over the Belmont Park training track Wednesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner