Six horses have been added to the list of 3-year-old Thoroughbreds eligible to compete in the 2010 Triple Crown after their owners paid a required $6,000 fee during the late nominating period ending March 27.
Trainer Bob Baffert says he just wants to get the standout son of Smart Strike through his final prep in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 3 and get on to Kentucky.
The top three finishers in the Jan. 16 California Derby -- Ranger Heartley, Connemara, and Thomas Baines -- top the 10-horse field entered for the Feb. 20 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Though somewhat erratic through the homestretch, Ranger Heartley held off odds-on choice Connemara to win the $100,000 California Derby by three-quarters of a length at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Connemara, undefeated in a pair of route tries for trainer Todd Pletcher last fall, makes his stakes debut against five rival 3-year-olds in the $100,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Colonel John Sold, to Stand in Korea in 2017
- Runhappy Faces Five in Ack Ack
- Beholder, Stellar Wind Renew Rivalry
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill
- Flintshire Rolls Into Joe Hirsch Turf Classic
- Snowden Death Investigation 'Inactive'
- Klimt to Stretch Out in FrontRunner
- Air Force Blue Retired to Ashford Stud