Six horses have been added to the list of 3-year-old Thoroughbreds eligible to compete in the 2010 Triple Crown after their owners paid a required $6,000 fee during the late nominating period ending March 27.
Trainer Bob Baffert says he just wants to get the standout son of Smart Strike through his final prep in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 3 and get on to Kentucky.
The top three finishers in the Jan. 16 California Derby -- Ranger Heartley, Connemara, and Thomas Baines -- top the 10-horse field entered for the Feb. 20 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Though somewhat erratic through the homestretch, Ranger Heartley held off odds-on choice Connemara to win the $100,000 California Derby by three-quarters of a length at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Connemara, undefeated in a pair of route tries for trainer Todd Pletcher last fall, makes his stakes debut against five rival 3-year-olds in the $100,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Tumblebrutus Gets 25th Black-Type Winner
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate