Six horses have been added to the list of 3-year-old Thoroughbreds eligible to compete in the 2010 Triple Crown after their owners paid a required $6,000 fee during the late nominating period ending March 27.
Trainer Bob Baffert says he just wants to get the standout son of Smart Strike through his final prep in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 3 and get on to Kentucky.
The top three finishers in the Jan. 16 California Derby -- Ranger Heartley, Connemara, and Thomas Baines -- top the 10-horse field entered for the Feb. 20 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Though somewhat erratic through the homestretch, Ranger Heartley held off odds-on choice Connemara to win the $100,000 California Derby by three-quarters of a length at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Connemara, undefeated in a pair of route tries for trainer Todd Pletcher last fall, makes his stakes debut against five rival 3-year-olds in the $100,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Diagnosed With Hip Fracture
- Broad Offering Should Keep OBS April Growing
- WinStar Farm Acquires Interest in Upstart
- Red Cadeaux Nearing Record Earnings Plateau
- Kentucky Derby Notes, April 20
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Mitchell Remembered as 'Brilliant Horseman'
- Late-Running Longshots Key to Derby Super
- 2015 Road to the Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Prep Race Results and Points