Six horses have been added to the list of 3-year-old Thoroughbreds eligible to compete in the 2010 Triple Crown after their owners paid a required $6,000 fee during the late nominating period ending March 27.
Trainer Bob Baffert says he just wants to get the standout son of Smart Strike through his final prep in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 3 and get on to Kentucky.
The top three finishers in the Jan. 16 California Derby -- Ranger Heartley, Connemara, and Thomas Baines -- top the 10-horse field entered for the Feb. 20 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields.
Though somewhat erratic through the homestretch, Ranger Heartley held off odds-on choice Connemara to win the $100,000 California Derby by three-quarters of a length at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Connemara, undefeated in a pair of route tries for trainer Todd Pletcher last fall, makes his stakes debut against five rival 3-year-olds in the $100,000 California Derby at Golden Gate Fields Jan. 16.
Most Popular Stories
- Status Quo Dates for Illinois Racing in 2015
- Alcibiades Kicks Off Return to Keeneland Dirt
- 2015 Dates Conflict at Two Kentucky Tracks
- Hong Kong Sprinter to Have U.S. Prep for BC
- Grade III Winner Fiftyshadesofgold Retired
- Tracks Find Human Touch Key With New Apps
- Big Brown Colt Tops Magic Millions 2YO Sale
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride
- Added-Gaming Funds More Than Third of Purses
- Stopchargingmaria Will Be Offered at F-T Sale