Whata Brainstorm saved ground along the hedge under jockey John Velazquez before swinging out for the stretch run en route to winning Sunday's $250,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) on a firm turf course at Gulfstream Park. Whata Brainstorm completed the 1 1/2 miles in 2:23.75 -- three-fifths of a second off the course record -- after running the final quarter-mile in :23.75.
Manndar and Thesaurus, both slated to go postward in Saturday's $200,000 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at 1 3/8 miles on the turf, were on the track for morning trials on Tuesday. Manndar, recently shipped from California for the turf route, had his first workout over the local strip breezing a half-mile in :49 1/5. Trainer Ken McPeek had Thesaurus breeze five furlongs in 1:00 2/5 on Tuesday. A 7-year-old roan gelding, Thesaurus finished second in the GPBC Handicap last year and gets into this edition of the race with 113 pounds.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Xpressbet to Sponsor West Virginia Derby
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20
- Heerman Shaped Today's Thoroughbred Sales