Whata Brainstorm saved ground along the hedge under jockey John Velazquez before swinging out for the stretch run en route to winning Sunday's $250,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) on a firm turf course at Gulfstream Park. Whata Brainstorm completed the 1 1/2 miles in 2:23.75 -- three-fifths of a second off the course record -- after running the final quarter-mile in :23.75.
Manndar and Thesaurus, both slated to go postward in Saturday's $200,000 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at 1 3/8 miles on the turf, were on the track for morning trials on Tuesday. Manndar, recently shipped from California for the turf route, had his first workout over the local strip breezing a half-mile in :49 1/5. Trainer Ken McPeek had Thesaurus breeze five furlongs in 1:00 2/5 on Tuesday. A 7-year-old roan gelding, Thesaurus finished second in the GPBC Handicap last year and gets into this edition of the race with 113 pounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Munirah Arrives Late for Boiling Springs Win
- Haskin: A Day in the Life of Wise Dan