Whata Brainstorm saved ground along the hedge under jockey John Velazquez before swinging out for the stretch run en route to winning Sunday's $250,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) on a firm turf course at Gulfstream Park. Whata Brainstorm completed the 1 1/2 miles in 2:23.75 -- three-fifths of a second off the course record -- after running the final quarter-mile in :23.75.
Manndar and Thesaurus, both slated to go postward in Saturday's $200,000 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at 1 3/8 miles on the turf, were on the track for morning trials on Tuesday. Manndar, recently shipped from California for the turf route, had his first workout over the local strip breezing a half-mile in :49 1/5. Trainer Ken McPeek had Thesaurus breeze five furlongs in 1:00 2/5 on Tuesday. A 7-year-old roan gelding, Thesaurus finished second in the GPBC Handicap last year and gets into this edition of the race with 113 pounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Distorted Humor Filly Brings $575,000 at OBS
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Jade Girl First Winner for Power Broker
- ABR Talks with Mike Langford, Owner of Untrapped
- What's Going On Here: Most Charming
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move