Whata Brainstorm saved ground along the hedge under jockey John Velazquez before swinging out for the stretch run en route to winning Sunday's $250,000 Pan American Handicap (gr. IIT) on a firm turf course at Gulfstream Park. Whata Brainstorm completed the 1 1/2 miles in 2:23.75 -- three-fifths of a second off the course record -- after running the final quarter-mile in :23.75.
Manndar and Thesaurus, both slated to go postward in Saturday's $200,000 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) at 1 3/8 miles on the turf, were on the track for morning trials on Tuesday. Manndar, recently shipped from California for the turf route, had his first workout over the local strip breezing a half-mile in :49 1/5. Trainer Ken McPeek had Thesaurus breeze five furlongs in 1:00 2/5 on Tuesday. A 7-year-old roan gelding, Thesaurus finished second in the GPBC Handicap last year and gets into this edition of the race with 113 pounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Del Mar Makes Adjustment to Slow Polytrack
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Perfect at Spa, Sweet Reason Ready for Test
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Trainer Joshua Stein Wins in Debut at Sonoma
- CDI Reports Record Second Quarter Revenues
- Clement Hirsch: Iotapa After BC Distaff Slot
- New York-Bred Palace At Home In Vanderbilt