Maggi Moss's Indian Chant set his sights on a victory in the $125,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs and would not be denied, holding off a bid from the late-closing Noonmark to win the May 31 event by a nose.
With the focus of many racing fans on Fair Grounds and the 3-year-old efforts of Derby hopefuls, 5-year-old Spotsgone quietly stole the $150,000 Essex Handicap at Oaklawn Park.
Oxbow Racing's Steve's Double made a double of his own, a two-race winning streak that also brought his first black-type win when he came from off the pace to win the $200,000 Perryville (gr. III) at Keeneland Oct. 13.
Jamie Theriot, aboard Purim, had no idea if he'd get there. Julien Leparoux, on Cosmonaut, was doing his best to power under the wire. In the stands, 24,480 racegoers strained to see the photo. They saw Purim prevail by a neck in the Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland Oct. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Fasig-Tipton Adds New Sale Aimed at Turf Prospects
- Rowand Shared His Experiences Owning, Breeding Horses