Maggi Moss's Indian Chant set his sights on a victory in the $125,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs and would not be denied, holding off a bid from the late-closing Noonmark to win the May 31 event by a nose.
With the focus of many racing fans on Fair Grounds and the 3-year-old efforts of Derby hopefuls, 5-year-old Spotsgone quietly stole the $150,000 Essex Handicap at Oaklawn Park.
Oxbow Racing's Steve's Double made a double of his own, a two-race winning streak that also brought his first black-type win when he came from off the pace to win the $200,000 Perryville (gr. III) at Keeneland Oct. 13.
Jamie Theriot, aboard Purim, had no idea if he'd get there. Julien Leparoux, on Cosmonaut, was doing his best to power under the wire. In the stands, 24,480 racegoers strained to see the photo. They saw Purim prevail by a neck in the Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland Oct. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt