Magna Entertainment Corp. is willing to spend tens of millions for its upscale commercial development, The Shops at Santa Anita, in the track parking lot, but nothing to fix up the dilapidated barn area, the California Horse Racing Board learned during its meeting in Sacramento May 22.
An upscale mall to be constructed in Santa Anita's main parking lot took a step forward April 17 when the Arcadia City Council unanimously approved the project. The meeting lasted six hours before the council adjourned and then returned for another hour later in the day.
California's three major horse racing organizations have endorsed The Shops at Santa Anita, the outdoor, upscale shopping and dining center proposed by Caruso Affiliated at the Arcadia, Calif., track.
Most Popular Stories
- Two IL Tracks File for Bankruptcy Protection
- British Racing Undertakes Education Program
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos