Magna Entertainment Corp. is willing to spend tens of millions for its upscale commercial development, The Shops at Santa Anita, in the track parking lot, but nothing to fix up the dilapidated barn area, the California Horse Racing Board learned during its meeting in Sacramento May 22.
An upscale mall to be constructed in Santa Anita's main parking lot took a step forward April 17 when the Arcadia City Council unanimously approved the project. The meeting lasted six hours before the council adjourned and then returned for another hour later in the day.
California's three major horse racing organizations have endorsed The Shops at Santa Anita, the outdoor, upscale shopping and dining center proposed by Caruso Affiliated at the Arcadia, Calif., track.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap