After discussions with industry participants and a review of all scientific research available on the use of toe grabs on the front shoes of Thoroughbreds, The Jockey Club Thoroughbred Safety Committee recommends adjusting the current RCI Model Rule on horse shoes to allow toe grabs up to four millimeters in height on front shoes on dirt racing surfaces only.
Penn National Gaming Inc., second only to Magna Entertainment Corp. in terms of number of racetrack holdings in North America, said July 15 it has developed equine health and safety initiatives it hopes implement at all of its properties in six jurisdictions.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win