Buyers were plentiful but discriminating at the Magic Millions National yearling sale, which saw overall declines in total sales, average, and clearance rate at the close of the final of two select sessions June 5.
Australian sprint star Ortensia notched the third group I victory of her career as she ran down Spirit Quartz in the shadow of the wire to win the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes (Eng-I) at York Racecourse Aug. 24.
Ortensia, bred and based in Australia, rallied from last and gobbled up the field from the outside to score the $1 million Al Quoz Sprint Sponsored by Emirates NBD (UAE-I) March 31 at Meydan Racecourse.
A daughter of Hunter Valley-based stallion Testa Rossa out of Scone topped the second session of the BMW Magic Millions Adelaide yearling sale when she was sold for Aust$115,000 (approximating $73,390 in U.S. funds) March 10 in Australia. Victorian agent Kevin Dagg snapped up the youngster, which was consigned by Gerry Harvey's Baramul Stud.
Vinery Stud shuttle stallion More Than Ready added a major Australian juvenile feature success to his rapidly expanding portfolio when Augusta Proud maintained her unbeaten record with a 1 3/4-length victory against the males in the Aus$400,000 Magic Millions Adelaide 2YO Classic.
It was a long way from Louisville, Ky., but Vinery enjoyed a big day out on South Australian Derby day at Adelaide's Morphettville May 7.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Top Sprinter Secret Circle Retired to Stud
- First Winner Lands for Sire General Quarters
- Boden Takes on Key Positions at Calumet Farm
- Top Sanford Runners Meet Again in Hopeful
- Ireland and the Thoroughbred
- Curlin to Hill 'n' Dale in 2016
- Former Derby Museum Resident Au Moon Dies
- La Jolla Rivals Challenge Prospect Park Again
- Stronach Group Still Interested in Suffolk