Buyers were plentiful but discriminating at the Magic Millions National yearling sale, which saw overall declines in total sales, average, and clearance rate at the close of the final of two select sessions June 5.
Australian sprint star Ortensia notched the third group I victory of her career as she ran down Spirit Quartz in the shadow of the wire to win the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes (Eng-I) at York Racecourse Aug. 24.
Ortensia, bred and based in Australia, rallied from last and gobbled up the field from the outside to score the $1 million Al Quoz Sprint Sponsored by Emirates NBD (UAE-I) March 31 at Meydan Racecourse.
A daughter of Hunter Valley-based stallion Testa Rossa out of Scone topped the second session of the BMW Magic Millions Adelaide yearling sale when she was sold for Aust$115,000 (approximating $73,390 in U.S. funds) March 10 in Australia. Victorian agent Kevin Dagg snapped up the youngster, which was consigned by Gerry Harvey's Baramul Stud.
Vinery Stud shuttle stallion More Than Ready added a major Australian juvenile feature success to his rapidly expanding portfolio when Augusta Proud maintained her unbeaten record with a 1 3/4-length victory against the males in the Aus$400,000 Magic Millions Adelaide 2YO Classic.
It was a long way from Louisville, Ky., but Vinery enjoyed a big day out on South Australian Derby day at Adelaide's Morphettville May 7.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- Accelerate Finds Just Enough in Los Al Derby
- Nightflower Takes Second Europa
- Lexie Lou Officially Retired
- Senor Guitar First Winner for Star Guitar