Moving the April 14 Las Cienegas Handicap at Santa Anita from turf to the main track resulted in the grass race losing its grade III status for this year.
Odds-on Mizdirection made the best of what was left of the $98,000 Las Cienegas Handicap after the race was moved off the hillside turf course and contested on the main track with three rivals left.
The $100,000 Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) should determine 'Queen of the Hill' for the 2011-12 season at Santa Anita Park when Unzip Me and Mizdirection battle on the hillside turf course at about 6 1/2 furlongs.
California Nectar, fresh off a score in the California Breeders' Champion Stakes for state-breds, heads a field of seven fillies racing for the first time as 3-year-olds in the Santa Ynez Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Prominent Sire Beau Genius Dies at 29
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Grade II Winners to Battle in WV Derby
- 'The Chief' in Florida Rather Than Saratoga
- Wilkins to Direct Calumet Stallion Division
- Travers or Pennsylvania Derby Next for Bayern
- R Free Roll Leads the Way in Honorable Miss
- No Worries for Paquette in First Race Call
- Catalano's Daughter Reports Progress
- 2015 Preakness Stakes Logo Unveiled