Trainer Mike Maker discovered some filling in the tendon of multiple graded stakes winner Dark Cove, and the morning line second-choice will scratch from the $400,000 American St. Leger Aug. 17 at Arlington Park.
Cristina Patino's Snow Fairy, a 6-year-old daughter of Intikhab who won six group I races in four different countries, has been retired.
Despite the numerous treatments available, time and R&R remain essential for helping a horse recover from tendon or ligament injury. Download Now
- By Steve Haskin
The following guest blog was written by I'll Have Another's owner Paul Reddam in response to some of the concerns of the public regarding the colt's injury and retirement. read blog
Woodbine Mile (Can-IT) winner Shakespeare, who won seven of eight career starts for Frank Justice's Dell Ridge Farm, has been retired from racing after suffering a flare-up of the old tendon injury that once kept him from racing for 21 months.
Somewhere between 50%-60% of horses that suffer tendon lacerations return to some type of performance, which is often less strenuous than the previous level of work.
Trainer Carl Nafzger reported Friday that Unshaded came out of his Travers victory with a strained tendon in the left front leg and will undergo surgery at Rood & Riddle Clinic in Lexington, Ky. on Monday.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeder, Businessman Garvin Dies at Age 71
- Condo Commando 'Splash-tastic' in Spinaway
- Midnight Storm Shakes Up Del Mar Derby
- Filly First Winner for Sire Elusive Warning
- Longshots on Saratoga's Closing Day
- Wise Dan Victorious in Bernard Baruch Return
- Itsmyluckyday Unlikely to Return in Gold Cup
- Wise Dan Passes Return Test in Flying Colors
- Jo Jo Warrior Helps Zayat Celebrate Birthday
- Stonestreet Has Star in Making in Atreides