Barclay Tagg could become the first trainer to win consecutive editions of the Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) since it was switched to the turf in 1981 when he saddles likely favorite Nobiz Like Shobiz for the 10-furlong test Nov. 25 at the Inglewood, Calif., track.
The improving Daytona put it all together for trainer Dan Hendricks on the Santa Anita turf course Oct. 13, kicking clear of the field in upper stretch to register an easy 4 1/4-length win in the $150,000 Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT).
Improvement has come quickly for Augment, especially since trainer Paddy Gallagher switched him to the turf this summer, including a surprising second-place finish in the Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) last time out. The Aptitude gelding is sure to attract more attention in the $150,000 Oak Tree Derby (gr. IIT) on the Santa Anita lawn Oct. 13.
Unheralded Medici Code got the stalking trip trainer Darrell Vienna was hoping for in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. II) for 3-year-olds. The result was a convincing 1 1/4-length victory over a solid field on the Del Mar turf Aug. 11.
Undefeated in three starts this year for trainer Ben Cecil, Worldly is the 121-pound high weight in a field of nine 3-year-olds entered for the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) Aug. 11 at Del Mar.
Before 42,842 -- the largest opening-day crowd in its history -- Del Mar unveiled Polytrack as its new main track racing surface July 18 while featuring three divisions of the Oceanside Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile over the grass.
Most Popular Stories
- Bullet Move for Likely BC Juvenile Favorite
- U.S. Juvenile Turf Fillies Await Euro Attack
- Claimer Seeking the Sherif Reaches BC Sprint
- Grade I Winner Alterite to Arqana Sale
- Haskin: Time to Give Blame His Due
- Two-Time Champion Beholder Out of BC Distaff
- Hillstar Shoots to Canadian International Win
- Colic: To Refer or Not to Refer
- Just The Judge Earns E. P. Taylor Verdict
- Untapable Tops Worktab Sunday at Santa Anita