Many horses have been "hyped", then failed to meet the high standards set for them. One horse that has been "hyped" is Eddington, a chestnut son of Unbridled. Only, this time, you can say "believe the hype".
With a classic-oriented pedigree, Purge can pose a dangerous threat to Smarty Jones in the Belmont Stakes.
Although Smarty Jones is from a "speedy" family...he actually comes from a very classic-oriented family, on the top and bottom.
Lion Heart is an extremely eligible contender for the second and third jewels of the Triple Crown.
Major stakes winners are usually considered top Kentucky Derby (gr. I) contenders, regardless of their pedigrees.
When a horse wins a race at a particular distance, oftentimes the horse is labeled as a runner only suitable for that certain distance. Usually, this generalization is not justified; that horse can win at many other distances. The Cliff's Edge himself is a victim of this generalization.
Some stallions still remain who are an influence for stamina in the breeding program. A.P. Indy is one of these sires. His son, Friends Lake, is a major Derby contender this year, and can tackle the 1 1/4 mile distance with ease.
Most Popular Stories
- Palace Malice Interest Sold, May Race Again
- Guillot, Jerkens Like Chances in Gold Cup
- Shared Belief Works Toward Awesome Again
- Twirling Candy Colt Leads Tattersalls Sale
- Wise Dan Preps for Shadwell Turf Mile
- Believe You Can to Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Suffolk Downs Adds Race Day for Tribute
- Fasig-Tipton Catalogs 1,236 for October Sale
- The Week in Photos for 9/23/2014
- Ruidoso Unveils Integrity and Safety Program