Many horses have been "hyped", then failed to meet the high standards set for them. One horse that has been "hyped" is Eddington, a chestnut son of Unbridled. Only, this time, you can say "believe the hype".
With a classic-oriented pedigree, Purge can pose a dangerous threat to Smarty Jones in the Belmont Stakes.
Although Smarty Jones is from a "speedy" family...he actually comes from a very classic-oriented family, on the top and bottom.
Lion Heart is an extremely eligible contender for the second and third jewels of the Triple Crown.
Major stakes winners are usually considered top Kentucky Derby (gr. I) contenders, regardless of their pedigrees.
When a horse wins a race at a particular distance, oftentimes the horse is labeled as a runner only suitable for that certain distance. Usually, this generalization is not justified; that horse can win at many other distances. The Cliff's Edge himself is a victim of this generalization.
Some stallions still remain who are an influence for stamina in the breeding program. A.P. Indy is one of these sires. His son, Friends Lake, is a major Derby contender this year, and can tackle the 1 1/4 mile distance with ease.
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind 7-2 Choice for Oaks
- Oxley Hopes Danzig Moon Follows Monarchos
- Nader Leaving Hong Kong, Will Return to U.S.
- Fitness Options Added for Churchill Jockeys
- American Pharoah Forges Way to Zayat's Heart
- Kentucky Derby: Bathtime for American Pharoah
- Forever Unbridled: Oaks Is in Her Genes
- A Look at 2015 Homebred Derby Hopefuls
- Tailgating, 'Selfie Sticks' Out at Belmont S.
- Churchill Downs Inc. Looking Forward to Derby