Thirty years ago, on July 20, 1976, the first yearling ever sold for $1 million or more went through the ring at the Keeneland July sale. By Secretariat, the half-brother to champion Dahlia was sold by Nelson Bunker Hunt and purchased by a group of Canadians for $1.5 million.
Even though the ballots were due Friday for this year's Sovereign Awards, jockey Todd Kabel is guaranteed to have his game face on when he's aboard Santerra in Sunday's $160,200 Ontario Lassie Stakes at 1 1/16 mile at Woodbine.
The wide open 2-year-old filly picture in Canada should come into clearer focus on Sunday when eight compete in the season's most important race in the division, the $250,000 Princess Elizabeth Stakes at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale Posts Increases
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- Multi-Breed Drug Uniformity No Easy Task
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- New Buyers Drive Up Sales at Arqana