Michael Matz didn't expect Visionaire to sizzle in his final work before the Kentucky Derby Presented By Yum! Brands (gr. I), so the trainer was satisfied when the colt breezed a half-mile in :48.40 Monday morning at Churchill Downs.
The 3-year-old picture in New York was about as foggy as the weather conditions at Aqueduct March 8, but Visionaire helped clear things up a bit with a late burst to capture the $250,000 Gotham Stakes (gr. III) by a nose over Texas Wildcatter.
California attorney Aron Wellman has been named racehorse administrator by Barry Irwin's Kentucky-based Team Valor International.
Team Valor International's Alexandra Rose, under a patient ride by Rafael Bejarano, swept past foes in the stretch to win the Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) at 6 1/2 furlongs on the turf at Santa Anita Park Jan. 1.
The most expensive yearling sold at public auction so far this year is scheduled to be trained by Todd Pletcher, Team Valor International's Barry Irwin said Aug. 26.
Even with a $2.2-million Mr. Greeley colt, the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga select yearling auction experienced downturns.
- By Ron Mitchell
Team Valor International went to $2.2 million to acquire a Mr. Greeley colt to top the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga select yearling sale that concluded Tuesday with across-the-board declines.
Barry Irwin has purchased Jeff Siegel's interest in Team Valor and will operate the stable as its sole owner, the Versailles-based company announced July 3.
Most Popular Stories
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Researchers Developing Equine Sweet Itch Test
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck