Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear March 17 signed into law a bill that will erase the state tax for on-track pari-mutuel handle on live races at Keeneland during the two days of the Breeders' Cup Oct.30-31.
Legislation offering a financial incentive to Breeders' Cup if it commits to holding the World Championships in Kentucky in 2011, 2012, or both years, was signed into law by Gov. Steve Beshear April 6.
Kentucky legislation authorizing a pari-mutuel tax exemption for the Breeders' Cup World Championships was modified to allow for one-day or two-day events and sets a lower purse minimum to qualify for the exemption.
It appears that Irish stallion owners can again breathe easily--for the next 18 months, at least.
Ireland's thriving bloodstock industry would be dealt a huge blow if attempts to remove the tax-free status of fees earned by stallions standing in the country were successful.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Shaman Ghost Works Bullet in Pegasus Prep
- Suddenbreakingnews Set to Return at Oaklawn
- Sherman Staying in the Moment With California Chrome
- Tepin Gets Serious in Latest Work
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Castellano Scores Fourth Straight Eclipse as Top Jockey
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Beholder Goes Out a Champion, Earns Fourth Eclipse