With Makybe Diva retired, the Nov. 6 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I) appears a free-for-all. The champion mare won the Cup three years in a row, but that crown will go to another horse this year.
Sheikh Hamdan gained another major Australian success when his Kingmambo son, Tawqeet, triumphed in a dramatic Caulfield Cup (Aus-I) Oct 21.
Kingmambo sired his first Southern Hemisphere grade I winner as the U.S. bred Tawqeet won the $600,000 (Australian) Metropolitan Handicap (Aus-I) at Randwick on Oct 7.
Frankie Dettori led all the way on favorite Scorpion to win the $828,000 St. Leger Stakes (Eng-I), the world's oldest classic, on Saturday for the third time.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules