Tattersalls' December mares sale ended on Thursday with a record average and its second-highest gross revenue ever. The 767 horses sold grossed 36,065,500 guineas ($53,625,972) and averaged 47,022 guineas ($69,917). Compared to last year's figures, the number sold was down by 2.7%, but the gross, average, and median rose by 4.0%, 6.8%, and 10.9%, respectively.
Zibilene, a half-sister to 1994 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Barathea, sold for 1.5 million guineas (approximately $2,239,178) to top the third session of the Tattersalls December mare sales in England. The price was the third highest ever for a mare sold in England.
The Tattersalls December mares sale continued its strong run during its second session on Tuesday, recording increases in gross revenue, average price, and median price. The 202 horses sold grossed 13,308,500 guineas and averaged 65,883 guineas. The median was 30,000 guineas. The gross and average were up by 15.8% and 16.3%, respectively from the comparable session in 2000. The median was up by 20.0%. Last year during the second session, 203 horses were sold for a gross of 11,497,500 guineas, an average of 56,637 guineas, and a median of 25,000 guineas.
Most Popular Stories
- Thoroughbred Makeover is Bigger, Interactive
- Trainers O'Neill, Levine Suspended and Fined
- Wise Dan Faces Stiff Shadwell Turf Mile Test
- Jacks or Better Loaded in Florida Sire Stakes
- Winners Named in TCA Youth Essay Contest
- Will Wise Dan Win Again in Shadwell Turf Mile
- How to Manage a Collapsed Foal
- Cup Winners Secret Circle, Goldencents Clash
- Wicked Strong to Sit Out Rest of Year
- Champagne Stakes is Next Step for I Spent It