The curtain came down on a record year of trading for Tattersalls in Newmarket Dec. 1 with the fourth and final installment of the December mares sale.
Dams of Derby winners rarely come on the market, let alone a mare who has produced one who also scored in the Irish equivalent, so Harzand's dam Hazariya was always going to sell for a premium when offered in the Tattersalls December Mares Sale.
The 2016 renewal of the Tattersalls December mares sale combines the best of British and Irish bloodstock with significant consignments from throughout Europe.
Tattersalls' December mares sale ended on Thursday with a record average and its second-highest gross revenue ever. The 767 horses sold grossed 36,065,500 guineas ($53,625,972) and averaged 47,022 guineas ($69,917). Compared to last year's figures, the number sold was down by 2.7%, but the gross, average, and median rose by 4.0%, 6.8%, and 10.9%, respectively.
Zibilene, a half-sister to 1994 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Barathea, sold for 1.5 million guineas (approximately $2,239,178) to top the third session of the Tattersalls December mare sales in England. The price was the third highest ever for a mare sold in England.
The Tattersalls December mares sale continued its strong run during its second session on Tuesday, recording increases in gross revenue, average price, and median price. The 202 horses sold grossed 13,308,500 guineas and averaged 65,883 guineas. The median was 30,000 guineas. The gross and average were up by 15.8% and 16.3%, respectively from the comparable session in 2000. The median was up by 20.0%. Last year during the second session, 203 horses were sold for a gross of 11,497,500 guineas, an average of 56,637 guineas, and a median of 25,000 guineas.
Most Popular Stories
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus