Led by Zayat Stable's talented but lightly raced Paynter, a field of 11 sophomores was entered in the $200,000 The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial (gr. III) on opening night of the Churchill Downs spring meet April 28.
Everyone, including trainer Jonathan Sheppard, is waiting to see if the speedy Ever So Lucky belongs on the Triple Crown trail. The answer, hopefully, could come Feb. 11 in the Hutchson (gr. II) at Gulfstream.
Todd Pletcher, who has won three of the last seven editions of the Sanford (gr. II), will have another strong chance when he sends out impressive maiden winner Overdriven July 24 at Saratoga.
Maiden Jack's in the Deck split horses in the stretch and burst home to capture the $150,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. II) by four lengths in an upset at cloudy Belmont Park July 3.
The Futurity and Matron (both gr. II), previously held during the fall, both make their reappearance July 3 at Belmont Park after a one-year hiatus. The Futurity drew a field of six, while the Matron attracted seven.
Graded stakes winner High Cotton sired his first winner when his son Tarpy's Goal won at Churchill Downs May 19 for owner Mike Tarp in his initial outing.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Alert Bay Wins Mathis Brothers Mile Thriller
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Six Grade I Races Set for Belmont Stakes Day
- Salutos Amigos Adds Gravesend Stakes Victory
- New York Stallion Series On Tap at Aqueduct