Led by Zayat Stable's talented but lightly raced Paynter, a field of 11 sophomores was entered in the $200,000 The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial (gr. III) on opening night of the Churchill Downs spring meet April 28.
Everyone, including trainer Jonathan Sheppard, is waiting to see if the speedy Ever So Lucky belongs on the Triple Crown trail. The answer, hopefully, could come Feb. 11 in the Hutchson (gr. II) at Gulfstream.
Todd Pletcher, who has won three of the last seven editions of the Sanford (gr. II), will have another strong chance when he sends out impressive maiden winner Overdriven July 24 at Saratoga.
Maiden Jack's in the Deck split horses in the stretch and burst home to capture the $150,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. II) by four lengths in an upset at cloudy Belmont Park July 3.
The Futurity and Matron (both gr. II), previously held during the fall, both make their reappearance July 3 at Belmont Park after a one-year hiatus. The Futurity drew a field of six, while the Matron attracted seven.
Graded stakes winner High Cotton sired his first winner when his son Tarpy's Goal won at Churchill Downs May 19 for owner Mike Tarp in his initial outing.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Nyquist Logs Easy Afternoon Workout
- Isabella Sings Sails Home in Eatontown
- Tepin Makes Stop at Belmont Park
- Sarah Sis Returns to Winning Ways in Chicago
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh