Edward Evans' homebred filly Dixie City repelled a bid from favored Believe in A.P. at the quarter pole and sailed to an easy victory in the $200,000 Demoiselle (gr. II) Nov. 27 at Aqueduct.
The Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) and two juvenile stakes, the Nashua (gr. II) and Tempted (gr. III), add some local spice to the Breeders' Cup program that begins Aqueduct's opening weekend Nov. 6.
R Heat Lightning, fresh off a nifty score in the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I) at seven furlongs Sept. 5 at Saratoga, steps up to a mile in the Frizette Stakes (gr. I) for 2-year-old fillies Oct. 9 at Belmont Park.
Trainer Todd Pletcher, who won last year's Frizette Stakes (gr. I) with Devil May Care, is likely to have a foursome for the $300,000 race Oct. 9 at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Smith Has Calming Influence on Tom's Tribute
- Lameness Knocks Magician Out of BC Turf
- Silver Charm Pensioned, Returning to Kentucky
- Free as a Bird Refuses to Fly, Out of Cup
- Zenyatta: Champion Mother
- Jury Fails to Reach Verdict in Mare Case
- American Pharoah Out of BC Juvenile
- Hopes of Calderon, Peru with Valiant Emilia
- Miss Mischief Seeking to Make the Grade