Edward Evans' homebred filly Dixie City repelled a bid from favored Believe in A.P. at the quarter pole and sailed to an easy victory in the $200,000 Demoiselle (gr. II) Nov. 27 at Aqueduct.
The Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) and two juvenile stakes, the Nashua (gr. II) and Tempted (gr. III), add some local spice to the Breeders' Cup program that begins Aqueduct's opening weekend Nov. 6.
R Heat Lightning, fresh off a nifty score in the Spinaway Stakes (gr. I) at seven furlongs Sept. 5 at Saratoga, steps up to a mile in the Frizette Stakes (gr. I) for 2-year-old fillies Oct. 9 at Belmont Park.
Trainer Todd Pletcher, who won last year's Frizette Stakes (gr. I) with Devil May Care, is likely to have a foursome for the $300,000 race Oct. 9 at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double