Eight-year-old Karelian, who scored the biggest win of his career in the Maker's Mark Stakes (gr. IT) last month, bids for consecutive grade I victories when he battles nine rivals in the $250,000 Shoemaker Mile (gr. IT).
Madeo, justifying the faith trainer John Shirreffs has shown in him, overtook pacesetter Tangled Tango in deep stretch to post a handy upset in the $350,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Aug. 31.
Winner of the Virginia Derby (gr. IIT) in his last start, Gio Ponti switches coasts for New York-based trainer Christophe Clement and takes a shot at the best the California 3-year-old turf division has to offer in the $350,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Aug. 31.
Sky Cape, ignored at the windows in an evenly-matched renewal of the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT), ran down pacesetter Liberian Freighter in the homestretch to earn his first graded stakes win comfortably over the Del Mar turf course Aug. 9.
Tiz West, a determined winner of the Cinema Handicap (gr. IIIT) for trainer Richard Mandella last time out, gets his first look at Del Mar's 3-year-old competition Aug. 9 in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT).
Most Popular Stories
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004