The late Tammy Samuel-Balaz, who took charge of Sam-Son Farm following the death of her father, Ernie Samuel, in 2000, has joined her dad in the Canadian Horse Racing Hall Fame.
Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Touch Gold, the late Tammy Samuel Balaz, and trainer Mark Frostad are among the Thoroughbreds and individuals nominated for induction into the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame.
Other nominees include Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winners Touch Gold and Victory Gallop.
The Ontario division of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society honored the Ontario-bred champions of 2007 at its annual awards dinner held at Glencairn Golf Club in Milton, Ontario June 13.
Tammy Samuel-Balaz, whose family bred and raced champion Dance Smartly and leading sire Smart Strike, among numerous others, under their Sam-Son banner, died Jan. 5 in Canada after battling cancer. She was 47.
Sam-Son Farm homebred Strike Softly capitalized on fast fractions to win Sunday's CAN$186,700 Hendrie Stakes (Can-III) by four lengths at Woodbine.
The story of Dance Smartly, inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame on Aug. 4, epitomizes the powerful breeding empire first developed by Ernie Samuel more than three decades ago.
Coming off a solid second-place finish in the King Edward Breeders' Cup Stakes on June 15 at Woodbine, Strut The Stage made his second start of the season a an impressive one, winning the $330,900 Chinese Cultural Center Stakes (Can-II).
Canadian champion and millionaire Dancethruthedawn, a Sam-Son homebred, has been retired because of a non-displaced hairline fracture of her right ankle.
Loudrangle, one of Sam-Son Farm's foundation mares and 1986 Canadian broodmare of the year, died Dec. 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Hollywood Derby Likely After Chrome's Workout
- Danon Shark Wins Mile Championship Thriller
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess
- Honor Code Inhales Allowance Foes in Return
- Three Hearts Breaks Through in Red Carpet
- Sinatra Leaving Parx to Take MJC Position
- Sunbean in Hand for Easy Delta Mile Victory
- Del Mar Employee Honored for Heroic Action
- Lubash Looks Like a Million in Tropical Turf