Six $100,000 stakes events restricted to Prairie State performers will be presented at Hawthorne on Saturday's Illinois Champions Day program. The stakes will be run consecutively (races four through nine).
Jockey Jesse Campbell, who won the first race of his career at Arlington Park in 1995, scored his 1,000th victory when he guided High Expectations to a six-length tally in the $88,900 Springfield Stakes Saturday during Arlington's Prairie State Festival.
Sam-Son Farm's odds-on Soaring Free did the expected Sunday at Woodbine, wiring the field in the six -furlong, $219,000 Scotts Highlander Handicap (Can-III) over the E.P. Taylor Turf Course.
Richard Englander's Abderian rallied from last in a field of ten to win the $100,000 Turf Monster Handicap Monday at Philadelphia Park.
Longshot Governor's Pride shot to the lead and stayed in front the whole way to capture the $50,000 Ben Cohen Stakes, contested at five furlongs on the grass at Pimlico Race Course Saturday.
Shake You Down, who finished third in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), headlines the 10 entries for Saturday's $300,000 De Francis Dash (gr. I) at Laurel Park.
Led by multiple graded stakes winner Shake You Down, third in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) Oct. 25, a probable field of 11 is being pointed toward Saturday's Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash (gr. I) at Laurel Park. The field for the $300,000 race at six furlongs will be drawn Wednesday.
Friday's eighth race at Laurel Park could provide a candidate or two for next month's $300,000 De Francis Dash (gr. I), as two top contenders – Boston Common and Take Achance On Me – finished one-two in the $36,000 optional allowance test.
Buckram Oak Farm's Najran tracked the pace and pulled away to score an easy victory in the $264,000 Phoenix Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Keeneland Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Agree to Deal to Keep Track Open
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies