Irish Prize won another photo finish at Santa Anita Park on Monday, prevailing by a nose over long shot Continental Red in the $150,000 San Marcos Stakes (gr. II) on the turf.
Val Royal, winner of the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championship Mile in his last start Oct. 27 at Belmont Park, will run in the $500,000 Citation Handicap at Hollywood Park Saturday, trainer Julio Canani confirmed.
The once highly regarded Super Quercus earned his first win since November of his 3-year-old season, ending a six-race losing streak in Saturday's $110,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT). Super Quercus' last previous win came in the 1999 Early Times Hollywood Derby (gr. IT).
Silvano, perhaps the strongest of four European contestants in Saturday's Arlington Million (gr. IT), breezed five furlongs from a standing start in 1:02 4/5 over the Arlington turf course Wednesday morning.
Takarian, overmatched a year ago, came from slightly off the pace under jockey Garrett Gomez to win the $150,000 American Handicap for the second time in three years on Wednesday afternoon at Hollywood Park.
Brief items on racing and breeding.
Pat Day urged Brahms by Vergennes in the final eighth of a mile to win the $180,450 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on Sunday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes