Asia Express, a Florida-bred son of Henny Hughes, took to the turf for the first time in the Asahi Futurity (Jpn-I) Dec. 15 at Nakayama racecourse and kept his perfect record intact with a surprising burst of speed.
Ayusan dug in gamely to repel a strong late bid from Red Opal and capture the $2,311,000 Oka Sho (Jpn-I), or Japanese One Thousand Guineas, the first jewel in Japan's Triple Crown for fillies April 7 at Hanshin Racecourse.
Favored Alfredo ran his unbeaten streak to three with a two-length victory in the $1.7 million Asahi Hai Futurity Stakes (Jpn-I) at Nakayama Racecourse Dec. 18.
Most Popular Stories
- Long-Term Vision Possible After Equine Cataract Surgery
- Plan in Works to Save Suffolk Downs Racing
- Espinoza Suspended for Awesome Again Ride
- Figures Decline at F-T Midlantic Fall Sale
- Two-Time Gr. I Winner Strategic Maneuver Dies
- Rosalind to Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Simulcast Conference: HD Options Progressing
- Desormeaux to Hospital After Kick by Horse
- Kay Outlines Recent Successes to NYRA Board
- Record Prize Money Expected for NHC, NHC Tour