Asia Express, a Florida-bred son of Henny Hughes, took to the turf for the first time in the Asahi Futurity (Jpn-I) Dec. 15 at Nakayama racecourse and kept his perfect record intact with a surprising burst of speed.
Ayusan dug in gamely to repel a strong late bid from Red Opal and capture the $2,311,000 Oka Sho (Jpn-I), or Japanese One Thousand Guineas, the first jewel in Japan's Triple Crown for fillies April 7 at Hanshin Racecourse.
Favored Alfredo ran his unbeaten streak to three with a two-length victory in the $1.7 million Asahi Hai Futurity Stakes (Jpn-I) at Nakayama Racecourse Dec. 18.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Maker Quartet Headlines Fair Grounds 'Cap
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Hong Kong Stars to Battle on Sunday at Sha Tin
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Look Back: Master Derby Wins Louisiana Derby