Ioya Bigtime, staked to a loping lead by Jeffrey Sanchez, refused to buckle under relentless pressure from favored Rahystrada to win the $200,000 Kentucky Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) on the grass course at Kentucky Downs Sept. 15.
- By Tom LaMarra
Tom and Pete handicap the Kentucky Turf Cup at Kentucky Downs this weekend. watch video
Third in last month's Arlington Million (gr. IT), Rahystrada will have a little more ground to deal with as he attempts to defend his title in the $200,000 Kentucky Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) Sept. 15 at Kentucky Downs.
Turbo Compressor goes after the biggest score of his career Aug. 18 when he heads a field of nine in the 38th running of the $600,000 Sword Dancer Invitational (gr. IT) at Saratoga Race Course.
f Americans are going to have any chance against the mighty Europeans in this year's Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT), they're going to have to show what they're made of. They can start July 14 in the $600,000 Man o' War Stakes.
Canadian-based Simmard took the lead at the head of the stretch and held off Joinem to win the $115,200 Louisville Handicap (gr. IIIT) in stakes record time at Churchill Downs May 26.
Phipps Stable's homebred Point of Entry shook clear at the top of the stretch and glided to a 1 1/2-length victory under John Velazquez in the $150,000 Elkhorn (gr. IIT) on closing day at Keeneland April 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks