Casino Drive, the Japanese-trained colt whose bruised foot prevented him from trying to follow in the hoofprints of his two Belmont Stakes (gr. I)-winning siblings, has entered quarantine in Japan as the first step to returning to the United States.
As of early Friday evening, Casino Drive remains in the 10-horse field for Saturday's Belmont Stakes.
After being delayed by one day due to inclement weather and track conditions, Casino Drive's final preparations for the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) were completed Thursday when the son of Mineshaft worked at Belmont Park.
Casino Drive, the son of Mineshaft who is expected to provide some of the stiffest competition to Big Brown in the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), follows a daily routine that raises eyebrows on the backstretch of Belmont Park but is consistent with how he is trained in Japan.
Ready's Echo and Tale of Ekati are headed to the Belmont Stakes, while Tomcito and Spark Candle are out.
Belmont Stakes (gr. I) contender Casino Drive went to the track for a scheduled work Wednesday, May 28, but in the end it was decided by the clockers that the time was too slow to be published as an official workout.
A sale record was set at Arqana's December sale at Deauville during the opening session Dec. 2, when the mare Mandalara (Lahib - Madiriya by Diesis) was sold for 1.7 million euros (about $2,255,169) to Japanese agent Nobutaka Tada.
Europe's premier yearling auction, the Tattersalls October (part one) yearling sale in Newmarket, returned encouraging figures Oct. 5 but a verdict on the strength of the market is impossible to make yet with no direct comparisons available.
Most Popular Stories
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- No Medication for Mubtaahij in Kentucky Derby
- Churchill to Stream Derby, Oaks Workouts Live
- Former KY Governor Seeking Third Oaks Win
- California Chrome Under Saddle at Newmarket
- Mott Fights Denial of Assistant's Visa
- Bernardini Filly Shows Maturity in OBS Breeze
- Brother to Eight Belles Gets Tesio Class Test
- Pedigree Analysis: Firing Line