Veteran stakes performer Meteor Storm returns to Hollywood Park for the first time in three years on Saturday when he could become the oldest horse to win the prestigious Hollywood Turf Cup (gr. IT) since the great John Henry won the race in 1983 at the age of 8.
European invader Hurricane Run, a multiple group I winner, drew the seven post position and was made the 3-1 morning line favorite for the John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
Runaway Dancer, who swept from last to win the May 14 Jim Murray Memorial Handicap (gr. IIIT), will attempt to repeat that dramatic effort in Sunday's $150,000 Sunset Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT), closing day feature of Hollywood Park's 64-day spring/summer meet.
Sharon Fitzpatrick's millionaire Continental Red faces seven other turf marathoners as the 9-year-old gelding seeks to regain his winning form in Saturday's San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/2 miles over Santa Anita's grass.
Eight evenly-matched older turf specialists are set to go postward in Saturday's San Marcos Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Top Filly Princess of Sylmar Retired
- Illinois Board Has Tough Call on 2015 Dates
- Undrafted Returns in Kentucky Downs Turf Dash
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Big Gains Mark Keeneland Sale's Day 11
- Filly First Winner for Line of David
- Two Dates Added to Upcoming Santa Anita Meet
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends