Doug Cauthen's Unbridled Energy, rallying from far back, wore down favored Greeley's Galaxy in the lane and held off an unlucky Canteen close to home for a three-quarters of a length victory in the San Fernando Breeders' Cup (gr. II) for 4-year-olds at Santa Anita Saturday.
Greeley's Galaxy, who split the field in the Malibu Stakes (gr. I) in his first start in 19 months Dec. 26, is the 120-pound high weight among nine entered for Saturday's $200,000 San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
A pair of lightly raced undefeated juvenile stakes winners–Roman Ruler and Chandtrue–rate marquee billing in the Sept. 8 Del Mar Futurity (gr. II), the traditional getaway-day feature of the 43-day race summer meet.
Trainer Bob Baffert cleared up the questions surrounding three promising 2-year-old colts Friday when he announced that his flashy Best Pal Stakes (gr. II) winner Roman Ruler would run in the Del Mar Futurity (gr. II) in the track's traditional closing-day feature Wednesday.
With the apparent return of Roman Ruler to the list of prospects for the $250,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. II) on closing day Sept. 8, the possible field could reach seven.
Most Popular Stories
- The Pizza Man Wins Hollywood Turf Cup
- Ahh Chocolate Smooth in Falls City
- Green Gratto Stuns Fall Highweight Field
- Control Stake Too Tough in Thanksgiving 'Cap
- Heart to Heart Wire to Wire in River City
- Invaders Poised to Have Impact in Japan Cup
- Tonalist, Red Vine Please in Cigar Mile Drill
- Hollendorfer Gets 7,000th Win of Career
- Tonalist Takes on Private Zone in Cigar Mile
- Runhappy Strong in Five Furlong Move