For all the concern about the condition of Santa Anita Park's Cushion Track surface, entries are strong, especially for the opening week's stakes races. A field of 14 is set for a wide open edition of the La Brea Stakes (gr. I) for 3-year-old fillies Dec. 29 at seven furlongs.
Magnificience, a long-striding 3-year-old filly trained by Bruce Headley, flashed just a peek of what might be expected from her when she streaked to a five-length win in the $100,597 Santa Paula (gr. III) in stakes-record time at Santa Anita Sunday.
Magnificience, a dazzling 6 1/2-length winner of her maiden debut three weeks ago, jumps directly into stakes action Sunday in the $100,000-added Santa Paula Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Santa Anita.
Cash Included and Romance Is Diane, both grade I winners as 2-year-olds, are among the leading contenders in the $250,000 Las Virgenes (gr. I) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Saturday.
Swiss Diva extended her unbeaten record to three on Friday when overwhelming her opposition with a 8 1⁄2-length triumph in Santa Anita's $138,750 California Breeders Champion Stakes for 2-year-old fillies.
Eleven 2-year-old fillies are set to go to the post Friday in Santa Anita's $125,000 California Breeders' Champion Stakes, a seven-furlong event for California-breds that seems to be wide open.
Most Popular Stories
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- Lubash Takes West Point for Second Time
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired