Gayle Fogelson's San Clemente Stakes (gr. IIT) winner Sweet Win has been retired after suffering a tendon injury during a morning workout, trainer Jeff Mullins said.
Amorama, who had finished behind favorite Ticker Tape in all six of her North American starts and was 19-1, nipped that one on the line to win the Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT) for 3-year-old fillies Saturday afternoon.
Headed by American Oaks (gr. IT) winner Ticker Tape and San Clemente (gr. IIT) champion Sweet Win, a field of seven 3-year-old fillies is expected to go to the post Saturday for the 48th running of the grade I, $300,000 Del Mar Oaks.
Lightly raced Sweet Win, a $10,000 buy as a 2-year-old at Ocala, came from nowhere to capture the $150,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies at Del Mar Saturday.
Miss Vegas, trainer Bobby Frankel's lastest filly turf standout, heads a light field of five for the $150,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) at one mile for 3-year-old fillies on the turf at Del Mar Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos
- Happy Holidays From Blood-Horse Publications
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses