Gayle Fogelson's San Clemente Stakes (gr. IIT) winner Sweet Win has been retired after suffering a tendon injury during a morning workout, trainer Jeff Mullins said.
Amorama, who had finished behind favorite Ticker Tape in all six of her North American starts and was 19-1, nipped that one on the line to win the Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT) for 3-year-old fillies Saturday afternoon.
Headed by American Oaks (gr. IT) winner Ticker Tape and San Clemente (gr. IIT) champion Sweet Win, a field of seven 3-year-old fillies is expected to go to the post Saturday for the 48th running of the grade I, $300,000 Del Mar Oaks.
Lightly raced Sweet Win, a $10,000 buy as a 2-year-old at Ocala, came from nowhere to capture the $150,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies at Del Mar Saturday.
Miss Vegas, trainer Bobby Frankel's lastest filly turf standout, heads a light field of five for the $150,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) at one mile for 3-year-old fillies on the turf at Del Mar Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- Frac Daddy Inherits San Diego's Favorite Role
- Bing Crosby Attracts Goldencents, Declassify
- Ageless May Have Ideal Set-Up in Royal North
- Flashy American Wheels Back for Shuvee 'Cap
- La Verdad True Speed of Honorable Miss at Spa
- Pants On Fire Seeks Monmouth Cup Repeat
- Candy Boy Among 47 West Virginia Derby Noms
- Monmouth-Winning Fillies Target Molly Pitcher